Sunday, January 22, 2012

Arroz Rojo con Pollo y Frijoles Negros (Chicken and Rice with Black Beans)

This is a recipe I found on the world wide interwebs and have no idea why or what I was searching for when I found it. I printed it out on 1/26/10 and it’s been in my binder untouched ever since. That’s one of my problems and why I’m on a mission to cook my way through my binder – I print out random recipes because they sound good to me at the time and then I don’t make them! After making this I’m kicking myself it took me 2 years to make it because it is SO GOOD.

I pulled this off of the website www.weheartfood.com .  According to them, the recipe is based on one in Rick Bayless’s Mexican Everyday cookbook. And in my eyes, Rick Bayless can do no wrong. I love that man. I love his cooking, his personality, his attitude, his graciousness, his restaurant, his PBS show, everything. There is a reason he was the first Top Chef Master. He’s that awesome.

The chicken, rice & beans is a tad bit boring. What makes the dish is the Smoky Chipotle Salsa that you spoon over it. It elevates a humble dish to new heights, which may sound a bit hyperbolic, but I’m serious. With the salsa, this dish goes from a 3 to an 11. Because the salsa has chipotles en adobo it’s a bit spicy but the rice and beans totally mellow it out (dude).

The salsa has tomatillos in it. This was my first time ever working with these crazy little tomato looking things. They are covered in a husk which is attached with what I’m guessing is nature’s glue – some kind of sticky stuff that washes off in warm water. They look like green tomatoes but don’t taste like them.  It’s hard to describe but the tomatillos added a bright, almost citrusy (zingy maybe?) element to the salsa.


Chicken and Rice with Black Beans

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 breasts and it was plenty)
Salt
2 ½ tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 medium white onion, cut into ¼-inch pieces
1 cup rice
5 garlic cloves
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup chopped green onions
Cilantro to garnish
Smoky Chipotle Salsa (see below)

The ingredients

Heat the oil in a large pot (I used my smallish Le Crueset) over medium-high heat. Salt the chicken breasts, then sprinkle both sides with 1 tablespoon of the ancho chile powder. Lay them in the hot oil to brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot and set aside. Leave the oil in the pan. Add the rice and onion, and stir for 4-5 minutes or until the rice starts to look dry and opaque. Add the garlic and the remaining chile powder and stir for another minute. Add the broth and up to a teaspoon of salt, and stir well. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and let cook for 10 minutes.


Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes, uncover the pot, and add the chicken and beans.
Re-cover the pot and cook for an additional 12 minutes.

Uncover, stir in the green onions, then remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro, and serve with smoke chipotle salsa.



Smoky Chipotle Salsa

4 garlic cloves
4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and cut in half
2 canned chipotle peppers
Salt

Set a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the garlic and tomatillos, cut-side down. When the tomatillos are browned, after 3-4 minutes, turn everything over and brown the other side.

Tomatillos & Garlic make for a zesty salsa

Add the garlic, tomatillos, chipotle peppers, and ¼ cup water to a blender and puree. Add salt to taste.


Dinner is served!



No comments:

Post a Comment