Thursday, January 26, 2012

Onion-Cheese Puffs

I am on email lists for quite a few food websites and magazines. One of my favorites is SAVEUR. I even love James Oseland, the Editor-in-Chief, who has also been a judge on Top Chef: Masters. He’s terrific. I think I received an email over the holidays with menu ideas and suggestions. I printed out this recipe on 11/15/2010, probably in anticipation of making these for Thanksgiving. They are SO easy and SO simple and SO delicious. It’s gotten to the point where I just eyeball the ingredients when I make a batch.


Onion-Cheese Puffs
Serves 8-12

Author and SAVEUR contributing writer Peggy Knickerbocker gave us the recipe for these simple hors d’oeuvres – among her fondest childhood memories of the elaborate holiday dinners her family hosted.

½ small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano (I'll admit - sometimes I use the Kraft stuff in the green container if it's all I have)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
8 slices of white bread

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Mix onion, mayonnaise, parmigiano-reggiano, and parsley in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Remove crusts from the bread. Using a 1” round cookie cutter, cut bread into 32 rounds. (I just cut off the crusts and cut each slice of bread into quarters) Place on a cookie sheet and bake, without turning, until golden, 10-15 minutes.
  3. Preheat broiler. Spread about 1 tsp. onion mixture onto each round, then sprinkle with more parmigiano-reggiano and brown under broiler for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately (preferably with a glass of wine or cocktail).


Nom Nom Nom

No comments:

Post a Comment