Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rosemary Garlic Chicken

This recipe is one I’ve made a few times in the past. It’s very easy for a weeknight meal and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand.  This recipe is from the February 2003 issue of Real Simple magazine. I tend to have pretty good success with recipes from Real Simple. I think I’ve been a subscriber since the magazine debuted and always find something good in each issue.


Rosemary-Garlic Chicken
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

4 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (I use 2)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
½ cup sherry vinegar (I’ve used plain cooking sherry and sherry vinegar, both with success)
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Using a rolling pin, pound the chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper until they are of uniform thickness. Heat the oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers and the garlic browns. (Don’t burn the garlic)  (I add the garlic towards the end of cooking the chicken so as not to burn) Add the chicken breasts and cook until golden, 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Add the salt, pepper, vinegar, chicken broth, and rosemary. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 3 minutes longer or until the chicken is fork-tender. Remove the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase heat to high and boil the sauce until thickened or syrupy, 3 to 5 minutes. (this always takes longer for me since I live at 8,500’ elevation) Whisk in the butter and pour the sauce over the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment