Thursday, March 29, 2012

Broccoli even Non-Broccoli Lovers will Dig!

I love broccoli.  Cooked broccoli. For whatever reason, I can’t stand the stuff raw. Normally I’m quite boring and just steam it and sprinkle some S&P on it and voila, easy side dish.  That gets old. So here is a recipe from one of my all time favorite people and writers – Kim O’Donnel. She used to write for the Washington Post for years and I still follow her now that she’s in Seattle. For those of you vegetarian-types and meat eaters like me who try to eat veg once or twice a week, she has a great cookbook: “The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour”. 
Roasted Broccoli Pick-Up Sticks
From “A Mighty Appetite for the Holidays” by Kim O’Donnel

1 pound broccoli florets, separated
1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne or paprika (I use cayenne. Smoked paprika would also be terrific)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Black pepper to taste

Method

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. With your hands, mix to combine until broccoli is well coated. Place broccoli on a baking sheet and into the oven.

Roast until fork tender (about 12 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 4 side-dish servings or 12-15 cocktail party servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment