Monday, March 19, 2012

Chicken with Acorn Squash and Tomatoes

OK, so I’m not dead, I’ve just been very, very lazy this past month!!  I’ve been cooking, I just haven’t been typing, so I apologize to all of my fans for neglecting you. Haha

This is a recipe from the November 2010 issue of Real Simple magazine. I’ve made it a few times and it’s very good. We weren’t sure if we liked acorn squash until I made this recipe. It gets very tender and sweet from the roasting. I also just roast the chicken along with the squash and tomatoes to cut down on calories/fat. Be careful with roasting the garlic – it can burn quite easily and fast. I add it about halfway through roasting.


Chicken with Acorn Squash and Tomatoes

Serves 4
Hands-On Time: 20m
Total Time: 30m

Ingredients

1 small acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved, seeded, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (if you don't have fresh, dried is fine, just use less)

The ingredients await my magic

Directions

1. Heat oven to 425° F.

2. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the squash, tomatoes, and garlic with 2 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.  (I wait to add the garlic so it doesn’t burn – nothing is nastier than burnt garlic!)

3. Roast the vegetables until the squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (skip this step and just roast the chicken in the oven with the squash and tomatoes)

5. Season the chicken with the coriander, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes per side.

Roasted goodness out of the oven


6. Serve the chicken with the squash and tomatoes and sprinkle with the oregano.

Dinner is served!



No comments:

Post a Comment