Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Welcome to Miami, Bienvenidos a Miami (Cuban Roast Pork)

If you’ve never been lucky enough to have authentic Cuban food, you’re missing out. Cuban food is so simple yet delicious and flavorful. One of my dearest friends is Cuban and grew up in Miami.  We met when we both worked together in New York and she took me to Miami for the first time in 1999/2000. We were there for the Y2K New Year’s Eve and had a blast. We both eventually left NYC. Happily for me she moved back to Miami and I had a friend at the beach to visit during the winter. One of my only requests when I visited her was to go out for Cuban food. Cuban roast pork is TO DIE FOR. It’s full of flavor and tender beyond belief. My friend asked her Aunt for a recipe but she didn’t have anything written down. I searched the internet and found this recipe which comes pretty close to the real deal. Sadly, my friend left Miami earlier this year and moved to Ireland. I’m so happy for her new life adventure, but how am I going to get my Cuban food fix????

I made this for my sweetheart for Valentine’s Day served with fried plantains and traditional Cuban black beans and rice. Leftover pork makes an outstanding Cuban sandwich, too!

I found this recipe on Recipezaar.com. It was submitted by someone named Crabbycakes. The only thing I’ve changed is cooking it in a slow cooker.


Cuban Roast Pork

6 servings

5-6 lbs pork roast, shoulder, sirloin
3 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
½ cup orange juice
½ cup lime juice
1 tablespoon oregano, ground
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt, to taste
1 large onion, sliced

Trim fat from roast, if any.

With a sharp knife, cut tiny holes in roast and insert slivers of garlic.

Mix remaining ingredients.

Place pork roast and onions in bag. Pour marinade over.

Place in refrigerator, at least overnight. (I marinate for 2 days)

Preheat oven to 275°.

Place pork roast in covered baking pan and cook for 5-6 hours. Turn once during baking.

I just dump the roast, onions, marinade and some chicken stock into my slow cooker, turn it on low for 10 hours and let it do its thing. The pork comes out so tender and delicious!

Cuban Food in the Foothills!


No comments:

Post a Comment